There are a few things that everyone thinks of to secure the safety of their home when leaving on vacation:
- leave some of your lights on
- stop the mail or newspapers
- activate any alarms
- lock all windows and doors
However, there are a few garage door tips and everyday habits that can help you protect your family and your home.
- Keep your garage door down even when you are home. This prevents burglars from scoping out the contents or any entrance ways to inside the house.
- Keep the door that leads from your garage to your house locked.
- Avoid leaving your garage door openers in cars parked outside the garage.
- Consider replacing your old remote with one featuring rolling-code technology. Even if a burglar uses a scanner to try obtain your remote signal, the rolling random code can make it impossible to get your code.
- If your opener doesn’t have a rolling-code technology system, be sure to change the manufacturer’s standard access codes on the operator and remote control. Using the standard factory settings can leave your garage vulnerable to break-ins.
- Wireless keypads which activate the garage door opener with a personal identification number or PIN are available for most garage door openers. This allows family members to open the door without the use of a key or remote.
- While on vacation or away from home for extended periods of time, unplug the garage door opener unit or use a wall vacation lock console security switch, which is usually an optional accessory on some openers.
No matter what, always remember to give your A.B.E. Doors & Windows professional a call 610-398-2430 - they're happy to answer your questions.
Have a safe vacation!